Sunday, November 20, 2011

Spychala ready for gig with Scarlet Knights



One day in the late 1970s, when Kevin MacConnell was a newcomer to the airwaves at Rutgers University’s student-run radio station, he was assigned to call a women’s basketball game with upperclassman Paul Spychala.

“It was my first game, and I didn’t say a word for the first four minutes,” MacConnell recalled. “I’m nervous and tongue-tied and he’s carrying me. Finally somebody comes into the game and we can’t find this girl on the roster. Paul looks at me and says, ‘Must be a player to be named later.’ ”

With the ice broken, MacConnell eased into his new gig. Over time he worked his way up to become WRSU’s sports director. Now he is Rutgers’ deputy director of athletes, and when the Scarlet Knights were in the market for a new basketball public address announcer this offseason, he knew exactly who to call. read the full story here

No comments: