Thursday, September 22, 2011

A day in the life of... PA announcer David Schuman




Hopefully, several of you have made it out to see our 6-2 women’s soccer team play.
If so, you must have noticed star players like Candace West or Dana Schwartz, but what about a little love for someone more behind-the-scenes, like the PA announcer?

That coveted position just happens to belong to yours truly, and never has there been a more anonymous job. Not that I’m looking for the spotlight. It’s satisfaction enough to know I enhance the fan experience. Okay, maybe I’m exaggerating.

Announcing is a lot like painting walls. (Bear with me here.) Nobody notices when everything is the way it should be, but everybody would know if something was wrong.
To avoid such a situation, I draw inspiration from all of the famous PA announcers through the history of sports: Bob Sheppard of the New York Yankees and, um … that’s all I got.

No comments: