Thursday, January 2, 2014

SCSU's Steve Hammer: A milestone behind the microphone

Public-address announcer closing in on announcing 1,000 events at St. Cloud State

Steve Hammer could have already announced his 1,000th game at a St. Cloud State football or men’s basketball contest.

He might be a couple of games short, too, but he knows it’s close.

Hammer has been the public-address announcer at St. Cloud State since the 1985-86 men’s basketball season. He took over as St. Cloud State’s full-time announcer for football and men’s basketball the next season.

He’s announced countless high school basketball games at Halenbeck Hall over the years and knows he’s close to passing the 1,000-event mark as a PA man.

“I used to do 50 games in a year,” Hammer said. “I’ve probably done 25 games a year the past few years. This is my 29th year of doing it. I was a part-time announcer before I started doing it full-time.”  read more here





No comments: