Saturday, January 10, 2015

National rule limits basketball PA announcers' word choice


Early in the season, Ben DiStefano would catch himself before finishing a sentence.


"Foul on Harold Coles, his ..."


The Fairview announcer, like many announcers around the state and country, had a rhythm when fouls were called. They would give the name, how many fouls on the player and how many team fouls.  


Most of that sentence is no longer allowed because of rules put in place by the National Federation of State High School Associations.


"My initial reaction was, 'Awe, c'mon, why are we trying to micromanage everything'," said DiStefano, a pastor that announces for both the boys and girls basketball games at Fairview. "The more I read about it, I realized this was a national rule and the PIAA had adopted it. I was disappointed early on, but I stepped back from the situation and realized there could be some problems in other areas around the country. I don't think it's an issue in our area."

read more here

No comments: