Sunday, August 2, 2015

Thank You Bob Sheppard

Recently PA guy David Freeman sent me an email with a link to his blog post about Yankees PA Announcer Bob Sheppard...check it out, it's a great read!


David's background:  

I'm the college basketball PA announcer at Barclays Center, pressbox PA announcer for the Giants and Jets, PA announcer for LIU-Brooklyn and St. Francis-Brooklyn and anything else I get asked to do...

I know the exact moment that I fell in love with the game of baseball.

The date was Tuesday, October 19, 1976: Game 3 of the 1976 World Series between the Cincinnati Reds and the New York Yankees. It was the first World Series game in Yankee Stadium in my lifetime, as I celebrated my tenth birthday just 17 days before. No, I wasn’t there in the Bronx – far from it.


What “got” me that night was the “voice” of the PA Announcer during the pre-game ceremony. THAT voice. The voice of Bob Sheppard. I listened as Mr. Sheppard announced the players, coaches, and managers of both teams. By that point of my life I had heard quite a few really good public speakers, not the least of which was my own father. But this was DIFFERENT. As a kid living in Pennsylvania with a TV antenna on my roof, Yankee games were hard to come by, except for during the post season. And unfortunately, other than an “Oh, that guy” response there were not too many people to talk about Bob Sheppard deep in the heart of Phillies and Eagles country.   read David's post here

No comments: