Thursday, July 26, 2012

Matt Goldstein of UMass was the PA announcer at Fenway Park vs Toronto


Leaving Phoenix Suns games as a 5 year old growing up in Arizona, Matt Goldstein used to mimic the public address announcer.
"I used to always practice doing the starting lineups imitating Jeff Munn," said Goldstein, who does part-time radio and public address at University of Massachusetts games. "When I started doing things at UMass, a lot of the things I would do or say was from going to Suns games listening to him." Shortly after longtime Red Sox public address announcer Carl Beane died in a car accident in May, the Red Sox announced that guests - a collection of PA voices for other area teams, radio and television personalities and perhaps an occasional celebrity - would fill the role from game to game. They wanted to hold off on finding a permanent replacement out of respect for Beane's memory.
Goldstein emailed the Red Sox to volunteer.
"I didn't hear anything for a little while. They emailed me a few weeks ago and asked if I'd be willing to do a game," he said. "Of course I said yes."

No comments: